Wednesday, August 10, 2011

23. "Wig in a Box" from Hedwig and the Angry Itch


I lied.  Or changed my mind.  A little from column A and a little from column B.  I had went as far as to swear this song hadn't made the cut and yet here it is, well, that would be because after considerable deliberation, I booted one song from the list because it just seemed too much the odd man out.  And I was feeling a bit bad about not squeezing in anything from Hedwig and the Angry Itch and low and behold, it's even from the same year as the film which I kicked to the curb (yes, I'm going to make you guess).

"Wig in a Box" is the obvious choice for me from the movie, and while it may have ranked slightly lower had I pulled the switcheroo earlier on, there's certainly no shame in it crawling all the way up to 23.  It's an indie musical through and through, and I love how inventive the number is with its sense of space.  And clearly the whole thing exists on a shoestring budget, but from within those confines it produces one of the more dynamic musical numbers of the last decade.  There's innovation at work here, and that, along with the ability to sing and dance, is all that separates us from the animals. 

Oh, and another hint for the song I dropped.  It was one of my nightclub act picks, and while undeniably landmark (and one of the coolest scenes ever), it just never quite fit in, even with the others of its ilk.  Ah, well, I will no doubt find plenty of other opportunities to rave about it in the future (and yes, you still have to guess).

No comments:

Post a Comment