Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tristan's Annual Unsuccessful New Year's Res...

Now broadcasting to you from Chicago.

With that comes the promise of more freque
nt updates, as I suddenly find the doors of a more vibrant film scene wide open. But before any of that nonsense, it's list time, and lest we forget, lists are commonly found in one of two shades. Sure, everyone likes the masturbatory Type A list, in which you decree to the world exactly what they ought to be appreciating - opinions, after all, are what keeps this old internet of our spinning on its axis - but one man's Type A list is another man's B, the ever-dreaded, perpetually looming To-Do list. To-Watch-These-Movies in my case.

It's my a
nnual tradition, the drafting of the list as sacred and sure as my inability to get to the bottom of it (not that I proceed in any sort of order). It's also not technically one man's Type A list, but many (with great thanks this year to Culturish's dws1982, who's brilliant top 200 can be found here). I once pulled from the canon, but I've expanded lately, and this year the lineup mostly plumbs the depths of the auteurs even further. As always, I suspect availability will stop me in my tracks more than once, but it's a bunch I'm personally quite excited about (especially for the chance to look further a Ozu, several years since we last met) and I'll report back during the year as I make a bit of a dent.

Here it is, 52 Films of 2011

1. Straight Story (David Lynch)
2. Awaara (Raj Kapoor)
3. Zazie dans le Metro (Louis Malle)
4. My Dinner With Andre (Louis Malle)
5. Brand Upon the Brain (Guy Maddin)
6. Archangel (Guy Maddin)
7. Barsaat (Raj Kapoor)
8. No Fear, No Die (Claire Denis)
9. I Am Curious Blue & Yellow (Vilgot Sjolman)
10. Moonfleet (Fritz Lang)
11. Doctor Mabuse series (Fritz Lang)
12. Mr. Arkadin (Orson Welles)
13. The Trial (Orson Welles)
14. Dog Star Man (Stan Brakage)
15. A City of Sadness (Hou Hsiao Hsien)
16. Goodbye South, Goodbye (Hou Hsiao Hsien)
17. The Wind (Victor Sjostrom)
18. J’Taime, J’Taime (Alain Resnais)
19. Memories of Murder (Bong Joon Ho)
20. I Was Born, But… (Yasujiro Ozu)
21. An Autumn Afternoon (Yasujiro Ozu)
22. Play Misty For Me (Clint Eastwood)
23. White Hunter, Black Heart (Clint Eastwood)
24. Where Is My Friends Home? (Abbas Kiarostami)
25. Ten (Abbas Kiarostami)
26. The Death of Mr. Laszarescu (Cristi Puilu)
27. Pyassa (Guru Dutt)
28. Three Lives & Only One Death (Raul Ruiz)
29. The Killing (Stanley Kubrick)
30. Hidden Fortress (Akira Kurosawa)
31. Red Beard (Akira Kurosawa)
32. The Spider’s Stratagem (Bernardo Bertolucci)
33. Before the Revolution (Bernardo Bertolucci)
34. The Dreamers (Bernardo Bertolucci)
35. Tenenbre (Dario Argento)
36. Cronos (Guillermo del Toro)
37. Blood For Dracula (Paul Morrissey)
38. Hard Eight (Paul Thomas Anderson)
39. The Seventh Continent (Michael Haneke)
40. The Kingdom (Lars von Trier)
41. The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola)
42. Hedwig & the Angry Itch (John Cameron Mitchell)
43. Wonderland (Michael Winterbottom)
44. Crash (David Cronenberg)
45. Adoration (Atom Egoyan)
46. The Fall of the Roman Empire (Anthony Mann)
47. The Lusty Men (Nicholas Ray)
48. Violent Summer (Valerio Zurlini)
49. Mountains of the Moon (Bob Rafelson)
50. Europa ’51 (Roberto Rossellini)
51. Stars in My Crown (Jacques Tournier)
52. Le Doulos (Jean-Pierre Melville)

5 comments:

  1. That is a REALLY awesome list there. Although... and I hate to be "that guy" for pointing this out... #5 and #7 are the same thing. Did you mean two separate Maddin films? I only point the whole thing out in the hopes of pushing Maddin off on other people (My Winnipeg, mayhap?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have some time, you should also try to check out "Barsaat", also featuring Nargis and Raj Kapoor. Not quite as good as "Awaara", but it definitely has some beautiful parts. And I know I've been playing up "A City of Sadness" quite a bit, so I'm curious as to what you think.

    PS "Brand Upon The Brain!" is totally worth watching twice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Droid, thank you for being "That Guy." I'm actually mad that no one was "That Guy" already, since I posted this on Culturish a few days ago.

    I love My Winnipeg though. And all things Maddin.

    I would immediately replace "Brand Upon The Brain" with "The Phantom Carriage" except I already have one impossible to find Sjostrom film on this list with "The Wind."

    Rahul, why not, I'll sub in "Barsaat." I don't see nearly enough from India (and "Sholay" was one of the highlights off last years list). Can't wait to see "A City of Sadness" though.

    ReplyDelete