Wednesday, August 24, 2011

15. "Do-Re-Mi" from The Sound of Music


Surely you've been expecting this.

I've never been over the moon for The Sound of Music, but classic status I cannot deny it, and it does some things very very right.  Those things would include the casting of Julie Andrews, and of course the stunning on location scenery, both of which come to a head in the film's best song, the indefatigable "Do-Re-Mi."   Is there a more infectious tune in musical theater?  Doubtful.  Or even a more joyous one?  I'd argue not.  Simple in nature, but it banks its energy steadily becoming the grand musical romp that it is.  By the time Maria leads the children through the gardens and fountains of the ancient estates, something special has transpired.

It's a feeling that doesn't come across the same in the stage show.  This is where location shooting and sweeping camera motions can make all the difference, and there's almost no other movie adaptation that can boast such successful ascension over its musical theater roots.  To love musicals is to love this song, though it helps, I'm sure, that it's one deeply rooted in childhood nostalgia too.  For many, it's like a gateway to the genre, and I think that's why I love it so much.  Hearing this as a child may well determine whether you'll grow up to be a fan of musicals, so I feel I'd best lend it my endorsement.

No comments:

Post a Comment