Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Library is Open

And frankly, it's about time. I can't rightly figure out what took me so long to jump into the blogsphere, all I know is that I've spent my last four years soaking up every movie known to man (or at least the French) and I've had hardly a soul to pass my constant musings on to. OK, that's not entirely true, I've subjected my friends to so many of my cinematic whims that movies ranging from Mulholland Drive to Pink Flamingos have worked their way into our collective subconscious. But I had to go and graduate, and I sit here typing this first entry with less than 36 hours left in East Lansing. I'm moving on to bigger and better things, at least after a brief layover in Grand Rapids. Point is, those who may miss me and my critical eye for all things pop culture can take comfort in the existence of this blog, soon to be my regular outlet for culture commentary.

Welcome to The Library of Babel. The title alludes to my favorite short story, penned by esteemed dead Argentine, Jorge Luis Borges. This is my library. A collection of things I've watched, read, beheld, and rocked out to recently, and by extension, a list of things I either recommend seeking out or staying the hell away from. I don't doubt that movies will consume much of the discussion, but if the past year is any indication, you'll see a healthy sampling of television, literature, theater, art and music alongside my explorations of arthouse and trash cinema alike.

I've got a major project planned to coincide with the kickoff of the blog. Tristan's 100 favorite films. Coming soon, right here. And somewhere before, after, or in between that epic undertaking, I'll be posting my thoughts on Buffy the Vampire Slayer having plowed through all seven seasons over the last 6 months.

But enough about me (stupid words for the launch of a personal blog, I know), I want to hear from you. Agree with me to win my modest approval or disagree to assert the superiority of your artistic palate, I'll take whatever you've got. Even more, I'm interested in your recommendations, especially as it becomes apparent just what my personal taste is (and it will, I'm a peculiar one you'll find).

Art and music, television and theater, film and literature. Let's start talking.

-Tristan

No comments:

Post a Comment